Loggia dei Lanzi – What you need to know
Another of Florence’s historical monuments is the Loggia della Signoria located in the Piazza of the same name, to the right of Palazzo Vecchio and beside the Uffizi Gallery. It is also known as the Loggia dei Lanzi, because in 1527 the Lanzichenecchi set up camp there on their way towards Rome.
Erroneously attributed to Andrea di Cione, known as Orcagna, it was then recognised as the work of his brother Benci di Cione and Simone Talenti. Built to host the numerous public assemblies of the Florentine Republic (1376-1382), in a Gothic style, it features the innovation of round arches, typical of the Renaissance period. Four tiles with allegorical figures made from designs by Agnolo Gaddi are located in the facade.
With the creation of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and the suspension of the public institutions, the Loggia della Signoria became the first exhibition space and some of the sculpted masterpieces were placed there. Still on view today are the two lions at the sides of the staircase, one from the Roman era and the other made by Flaminio Vacca, and Benvenuto Cellini’s masterpiece, Perseus, which was placed here in 1554 and, except for during restorations in 1999, has always remained here.
Also on view is the ‘Rape of the Sabine Women’ by Giambologna, a masterpiece in marble, and his ‘Hercules with the Centaur Nessus’, and more sculptures from the Roman era including, Patroclus and Menelaeus and the six female figures located near the back wall.
Loggia dei Lanzi at a Glance
When to visit: Monday/Sunday
Opening hours: Open 24 hours
Directions: Via Della Ninna, 5, 50121 Florence
Our Promise at Italy-Welcome:Booking in 1-2-3 easy Steps!All-Inclusive PricesNo extra fees or hidden costs
Activities Spotlight – What Might Interest You!From 96.00 EUR
Per personFrom 49.00 EUR
Half Day Excursion to PisaFrom 67.00 EUR
A Half Day Morning City TourFrom 49.00 EUR
Private Walking Tour of Florence & Skip The Line Entrance to...
Get in Touch with us!